Get to know Jamesport
The area is also popular among birdwatchers due to its many species of wild birds, which you can spot during migration seasons. Jamesport has maintained much of its rural character over the centuries, which helps explain why most residents love the neighborhood.
Homeowners in Jamesport are a lucky lot. Companies such as Zavza Seal are always on standby to provide insulation and waterproofing services among others.
There are also several restaurants and shops in Jamesport that cater to tourists from all over the world. Each year, these tourists visit this small town to enjoy its natural beauty or relax by the beachside.
Economic Activities in Jamesport
Today, Jamesport is home to many small businesses. The town has many artists who work with glass, ceramics, wood, metal and more traditional mediums such as oil paint or charcoal sketches.
There is also a thriving local farming community. The farmers produce fresh produce like apples and pumpkins during the fall months and livestock such as chicken eggs throughout the year.
Jamesport has several annual events that draw visitors from all over the world, including:
- The Hudson Valley WineFest held each July at Brookside Vineyards just outside town limits
- The Pumpkin Festival features pumpkin carving competitions plus live music performances
- The Fourth of July Parade includes floats decorated by local businesses and marching bands from area schools
Jamesport History & Culture
The name “Jamesport” refers to James Tuthill, who settled the area south of Lower Aquebogue on the Peconic Bay with his family in 1833. Over time, Lower Aquebogue came to be called Jamesport, while the community 1 mile (2 km) to the south, previously called Jamesport, came to be called South Jamesport (and is included in the present-day Jamesport CDP). Upper Aquebogue became just Aquebogue.
James Tuthill’s attempt to establish a commercial whaling and shipping wharf on the Peconic Bay in what is now South Jamesport was a failure. The depth of water at low tide was too shallow to accommodate ships. However, soon after this, the Long Island Rail Road established service to Jamesport from New York City, and Jamesport became a popular resort and fishing community with several large bayfront hotels, including the Miamogue Hotel and the Great Peconic Bay House which operated until 1952. Jamesport was a center for the scallop and bunker (menhaden) fisheries. From the 1830s to about 1950 Jamesport was the site of a Camp Meeting Grove operated by the Methodist Episcopal Church and, after 1904, an Epworth League Fresh Air Camp.
During the 1960s, the Long Island Lighting Company (LILCO) designated land on the North Shore of Long Island for use as a possible second nuclear power station, in addition to its Shoreham plant, already under construction. However, when LILCO ran into opposition to Shoreham in the 1970s and 1980s, the Jamesport plan was scrapped.